Yesterday was a subtly very productive time in the studio, even though I wasn’t in the studio for most of the productive moments.
After work, I met with a friend who has done voice work with me before. I showed her something I had written that I may be interested in having her record. We discussed its themes and tone over a (very good) drink and agreed to setup some studio time after the holidays.
I also made a deal with a friend who wants to sell off all his eurorack and go all in on Serge modular stuff. He doesn’t want to be bothered with the whole process of pricing, posting, haggling and shipping all his stuff. I agreed to broker the sales. He’s going to send me his whole rig, I’ll part it out for him. My broker fee is play time with the rig.
It will be interesting to work with someone else rig for a while, even integrated with mine. His selection of modules is very clearly from a different mindset to my own, having a lot more digital, fewer filters and a lot more crazy oscillators and function generators. Combining the rig with mine should be interesting.
And, finally, on the eurorack topic, I installed my Mutable Instruments Clouds installed and started futzing with it. It’s a very interesting module that creates a very interesting ‘smeared’ version of whatever signal you toss into it. Very interesting possibilities there. I’m going to need to feed it some signals from outside the euro, I think, to get the most out of it. It creates some very interesting textures out of the source material it’s given.
Today, I won’t have a lot of time as I’ve got the whole holiday shopping waste of time to contend with. Blah….
I started recording the audio elements to the track I’d been improvising around. The capture went well, but I am having some trouble structuring. I’ve *kind of* got an intro…kind of…but not really, and I don’t know what to do in the body. The impove I did with J the other night sounded *really* good…but I just can’t get back to that sound.
Part of the reason I am having issues, I think, is also that my speakers are poorly placed. I don’t know how to improve that much given the layout of the room I am in. One nice thing in my old space was that the PC was centered which made recording and mixing easy. I need to figure out a better way to lay things out for mixing. I almost need a separate set of speackers for mix and compose. That is just so expensive though…
The important thing, though, is that I am engaging in the process of recording and arranging. I haven’t gone to that step with a track in a long while, and it is extrenely important to keep engaged in it. Even if progress is painfully slow, at least it’s there.
So never stop – Keep moving – Breathe….
I’ve been assembling the gear and arranging it so that I could start in earnest the process of writing a follow up to 2012’s ‘Dust’. I am glad to say that I think I am now ‘there’ as far as the cast of characters I am going to use to produce this album. For all of my fellow gear nerds, this will be my core tool set:
- Eurorack Modular System (of course)
- Virus TI2 Polar Dark Star
- DSI Pro2
- Elektron A4, Octatrack and Analog Rytm
- Korg KronosX
I will, of course, be bringing in other tools from my storage closet as I feel the need. My first track that I am writing now is using the Akai MPC1000 through a mess of pedals (Korg SDD3000, Rodeck Restyler, Eventide ModFactor) and that’s turning out well. I like this concept of core devices and rotating in and out the extras. It makes the setup more manageable.
So writing has begun…and I will post about my concepts soon. Time to get to it.